Educational Sale for Students, Educators and Educational Institutes in the LCR-Reader Store Until the End of August
Siborg is offering a discount on all LCR-meters, test equipment and accessories in the LCR-Reader Store until August 31, 2017, for all students, teachers and educational institutes. The sales price will reflect the quantities of devices purchased.
The LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers LCR-and ESR-meters, as well as the LCR-Reader Pro task kits and Smart Tweezers Bluetooth are also included in the sale.
The Smart Tweezers Bluetooth model recently got upgraded to include the ability to send data to the ST device as well as receive the measurement data. The Bluetooth connects to PC, smart phones or tablets and can be used with software such as National Instruments LabView and the Windows’ Smart Tweezers Bluetooth Utility. These programs allow users to save all measurement data into a .csv file or other preferred file type for later processing or to be put into a database. Custom profiles can be set that use previously measured results or manual settings; these profiles are a set of specific parameters that a component must meet. When the measurement is complete, the program will grant the component a pass or fail whether it meets the specifications.
Siborg is also offering their other accessories and SMD devices in the sale. These include:
- SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers that allow for tweezer-probe precision with most multimeters that have 4 mm jacks.
- LED Test Tweezers that use a 12 VDC output with variable current ratings for testing LEDs. This device can also test circuitry and components using the included multimeter connector cable, which allows the device to be used as tweezer probes.
- LCR-Reader/Smart Tweezers Kelvin Probe Connector: a shielded two-wire connector that allows Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader to become full probe stations. The device includes 5 attachments and allows the multimeter to measure components larger than the tweezers’ spread would normally allow. Siborg has recently added fine and extra-fine pin-probes that can be purchased separately.
From March 29th to August 31st, 2017, Siborg is offering the sale to educators, students and educational facilities in the LCR-Reader Store. Students are required to show valid I.D, while educators can have their devices shipped to an institute or send a P.O. The sales price is reflected in the quantity of devices bought, starting at 15% for a single device.
The Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT has been updated to include the ability to send and receive information to and from the device. The previous model allowed device only to be sent from the Smart Tweezers device to the communication software; the update allows software to control the device by sending test settings.
Smart Tweezers with Bluetooth is based on the ST-5S model with the same features and basic accuracy of 0.2%, while also offering the ability to remotely record measurement data. The device connects to PC, tablets and smart phones with iOS and Android platforms. To connect to PC, the Bluetooth USB receiver stick is required. The device is then able to communicate with software such as NI LabView, Windows’ Smart Tweezers Bluetooth Utility and dedicated apps.
When connected to apps, users can set custom profiles using previous measurements or from scratch. The profiles set parameters that components must measure between. When a measurement is completed, the program will either determine if the component meets these specifications and is marked as red or green. Profiles can include the type of component, measurement values or secondary values. Profiles are also able to set device test settings like frequencies or test modes; these settings are sent to the device.
Depending on the software used, the measurements can be saved to Excel compatible files or databases for other file types for later review or processing. The ability to remotely record measurement values in real-time is essential for jobs where quality control is required.
Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT2 receiver stick uses an FTDI bridge that creates a virtual RS232 serial port for connection.
The newest model of Smart Tweezers Bluetooth is available in the LCR-Reader Store.
Siborg has added new Fine and Extra-Fine Pin Probes for LCR-Reader/Smart Tweezers Kelvin Probe Connector in the LCR-Reader Store.
The Fine Pin Probe is 124 mm
Both Pin Probes connect using the 4 mm jack plugs included with the Kelvin Probe Connector.
// February 24th, 2017 // No Comments » // FAQ, help, LCR-Reader, Maintenance, News, Smart Tweezers, Smart Tweezers Maintenance, Smart Tweezers Questions and Answers, Smart Tweezers Tricks and Tips, Uncategorized
False measurements are when the device shows a measurement while not being in contact with a component. The device will stop showing a measurement value when the tips are removed. False measurements will cause the device to continue displaying a measurement and not turn off, leading to the battery being drained.
There are a few reasons as to why the device is showing a false measurement. This could include the tips being misaligned or shifted during transportation or if the device has been dropped or mishandled. Replacing the tips with a new set may also cause false readings. Generally, these false measurements are caused by metal or plastic debris caught between the tips and arms of the device and can be fixed with these easy steps:
- Start by removing the tips and cleaning the arms with isopropyl and a soft cloth or gauze to remove any extra debris. Reinstall the tips to the device. If the device is still showing a reading, remove the tips and continue to step two.
- Try removing any excess flex cable from in or around the screw-holes. Gently rotate a drill bit by hand or use a Philips head screwdriver that is twice the size of the hole. This will scrape away any extra plastic and gold from the flex cable. The red circles in the image below shows where interference can occur.
- Sometimes bits of metal remain stuck in the threads from assembly. These bits can be removed using a tap or one of the screws to clear the threads. Tighten and remove a few times.
- Cleaning the screws may also help. Sometimes debris can be stuck between the threads.
- If all else fails, make sure there is no metal bits stuck under the flex cable around the screw holes. Very rarely does metal get between these two pieces, but it can create false measurements. Always try scraping away extra flex cable first. Use sharp tweezers to remove any visible metal pieces without tearing or damaging the flex cable.
NOTE: Removing the flex cable will damage the glue and may cause issues when re-adhering the flex cable which can impact the accuracy of the measurements.
- Make sure to clean away any residual plastic or metal using isopropyl and a soft cloth or gauze before reinstalling the tips.
If these steps do not remove the false readings, please contact Siborg Systems Inc.
Siborg is hosting an end-of-January sale with up to 20% off devices and accessories i nthe LCR-Reader Store and Amazon Sales Channels. The sale begins on January 18th 2017 at 12:00 AM and end on January 31st at 11:59 PM EST. The sale includes LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers (including Smart Tweezers with Bluetooth) devices and task kits, as well as LED Test Tweezers, Kelvin Probe Connector for Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader, and SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers.
Go to the LCR-Reader Store or Amazon Sales Channels in USA, Canada and Europe before the end of January for your chance to take part in this sale!
Starting December 26th, 2016 at 12:00 AM Siborg is offering a discount on LCR-Readers, Smart Tweezers and up to 20% off task kits in the LCR-Reader Store and Amazon Sales channels in USA, Canada and Europe. The sale will end at 11:59PM on December 31st. This sale includes the new LCR-Reader Pro Plus and Smart Tweezers Pro task kits that include the Kelvin Probe Station.
Siborg Systems Inc. is Offering a Discount on All Devices and Test Tweezers Until the End of September
Until September 30th, 2016, Siborg is offering their LCR- and ESR-meters and Test Tweezers devices for 10% off in their online sales channels, including the LCR-Reader Store, Amazon.com, Amazon.ca, and Amazon.co.uk.
This sale includes all LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers task kits, as well as the other tweezer-like devices like LED Test Tweezers, SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers and LCR-Reader Probe Connector.
The new model of Smart Tweezers, the ST5S-BT that allows users to connect and remotely record their measurement values in real-time over Bluetooth connection is also on sale.
Now is the perfect chance to pick up an LCR-Reader Professional Kit. This kit includes a pre-calibrated LCR-Reader, NIST traceable calibration certificate, charger and micro-USB cable, spare bent tweezer probes, an extra battery (only available in the LCR-Reader Store) and manuals.
Siborg worked with the Institute of Automation and Electrometry at the Russian Academy of Sciences in creating a new calibration fixture for the newer models of Smart Tweezers and LCR-Reader. The previous fixture was unable to handle the full measurement range of the devices.
After completion, Siborg sent the calibration fixture to one of Canada’s leading calibration houses for verification. With this verfication, Siborg was able to begin issuing NIST Traceable Calibration Certificates for LCR-Reader; the ability to periodically calibrated LCR-Reader was an issue with professionals that require their test equipment annually.
Now, Siborg is offering certificates with every LCR-Reader in the LCR-Reader Store.
Siborg has also added the LCR-Reader Professional to their growing list of task kits. The LCR-Reader Professional comes with a pre-calibrated device, calibration certificate, spare bent probes, an extra battery and charger.
The LCR-Reader Store has lots to offer for customers; LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers task kits: pre-bundled devices and accessories that offer customers a deal compared to buying each piece separately.
- SMD Multimeter Test Tweezers: add tweezer-probe functionality to multimeters
- LED Test Tweezers: test LEDs, switches, fuses, etc. with tweezer-precision, also includes a connector cable to be used with multimeters as probes
- LCR-Reader Probe Connector: Turn LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers into a probe station for complete PCB probing; also allows the device to measure components that will not fit between the tweezers’ tips.
- The newest product in Siborg’s lineup is the Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT that instantly records measurement results over Bluetooth connection. See more about Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT.
Siborg Systems Inc. is now offering Smart Tweezers Bluetooth enabled ST5S-BT in the
The Smart Tweezers ST5S-BT is a Bluetooth enabled ST-5S model with the same features and functions with the added function of remotely recording measurements in real-time. The ability to record measurements is efficient for those who require to record all measurement values and to create a quick reference of previous measurements.
The ST5S-BT connects to computer using a Bluetooth USB receiver stick, or using Android. Eventually, there will be dedicated apps for iOS, Windows and Android. Currently, the receiver stick is needed to connect. Any communication software can receive data, including NI LabView® and Tera Term free software. (Note: the receiver stick is needed when using NI LabView®)
When connected, the receiver stick opens a virtual port that the data is sent over in a string of comma separated values that show exactly what was on the device’s display at the time of the measurement. This string is as shown:
This is explained as the main impedance value and its typle (Capacitor 1.398nF), secondary value and type, test frequency, test signal level, measurement mode (S for serial) and 4 reserved values. The attached photo shows Tera Term software receiving the data. The data sent can be saved into a file or, when using NI LabView®, saved into a database to be processed later.
The ST5S-BT is based on the the ST-5S model and offers the same features as the latter.
- Fully automatic and manual L, C, R, ESR, Q, D and Z measurements
- Basic accuracy of 0.2%
- Variable tolerances of 1, 5, 10 and 20%
- Continuity/diode/short testing
- Extensive menus for customized measurements including offset tubtraction, holds and nulls, etc.
- NIST Traceable Calibration Certificate
- 4-way joystick navigation with the ability to change basic features from the home screen
- 1 oz. weight
- Li-Ion battery with micro-USB charging
- Bright OLED display
Siborg is offering two different packages for the ST5S-BT in the LCR-Reader Store, one with the USB receiver stick and one without . Please note when ordering, the USB receiver stick is required for use with computers and NI LabView®.
Siborg has recently added the LCR-Reader Probe Station to their LCR-Reader Store inventory.
The LCR-Reader Probe Station allows LCR-Reader LCR- and ESR- meters to preform full PCB probing and measure components outside of the tweezers’ allowed sizes.
The 60 cm shielded two-wire connection virtually eliminates parasitics from the wires, is easy to install and comes with seven attachments. Including a spade connector, alligator clips, long and short pin-probes, and 4 mm multimeter jack plugs.
Easy to install and simple to use; remove one of LCR-Reader’s gold-plated tweezer probes and replace with the small PCB on the connector cable, making sure that the gold strips on the flex cable and the connector match up. Tighten the screws, select the best attachment for the task at hand and start measuring. The attachments screw into the Probe Station’s universal connector.
The Probe Station works with LCR-Reader and Smart Tweezers models with removable tips.
The device is now available in the LCR-Reader Store for $24.99 US.